INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WAIVER
Non-immigrant International students, who are carrying hours, will be automatically enrolled and charged for health insurance coverage each semester to satisfy the University policy regarding maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage.
A waiver of the health insurance fee may be requested online with proof of acceptable alternate insurance. In order to be approved for a waiver of enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), your alternative health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and be submitted by the waiver deadline date. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed for compliance and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of this request will be sent to your University email within seven business days. Late submissions will not be accepted.
A. Criteria to submit a waiver request:
1. Student is sponsored by the government of the student’s home country and is provided through a plan equivalent to the SHIP or a letter from the government sponsor guaranteeing payment of all health care expenses.
2. Student is enrolled in a US employer-provided group health plan that is equivalent to the SHIP.
If the health plans above do not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
B. All International Students (including ”F” and “J” Student Visa Holders) must meet all of the following minimum requirements:
1. Provide the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits. A list of the Essential Minimum Benefits can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits/
2. Contain no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
3. Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the PPACA. A list of these preventive services can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits/
4. Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits.
5. Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000.
6. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
7. Dates of coverage meet or exceed the requirement for the SHIP coverage period.
• Summer Only: June 1st – August 31st
C. International “J” Student Visa Holders must also meet all of the following minimum requirements:
1. Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
2. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
D. International “F” Student Visa Holders must also meet all of the following minimum requirements:
1. Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $1,500 (individual)/$3,000 (family) per accident or illness.
2. Medical benefits with no annual limits.
NOTE: (applicable to all above groups): Individual plans, travel plans, or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be accepted by the University for waiver approval.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, submit electronic copies of the following documents with your online waiver request:
1. A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member.
2. A scanned copy of your complete policy, including coverage amounts, exclusions, and limitations in English using US dollars.
3. A scanned copy of your medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
Please see the ‘AHP Waiver System – Student Training’ link below for a video tutorial on how to use the Waiver System.
INTERNATIONAL STATUS: It is your responsibility that your university record correctly identifies your international status. Status changes that may affect or reverse your waiver or enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan MUST BE POSTED to your university account no later than the posted semester deadline (Official Reporting Day as posted on the Academic Calendar). Submit your status changes as early as possible and follow-up with the appropriate department(s) to ensure all changes are POSTED timely.
Contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) at (713) 743-5065 if you have any questions.
Waivers are processed based on the visa status submitted to the waiver department from the university. If your visa status in the university system is considered incomplete, additional information is required or your status could not be verified, the university will default your visa status to “F” Student Visa for wavier purposes.